Kelly's Directory 1925
Home Up Information News History Government

 

Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1925

There is a copy of this directory available for reference in the CRO.

Carlton-Cum-Willingham is a village and parish, on the borders of Suffolk, 5 miles south-east from Six Mile Bottom station and 4.5 south-south-east from Dullingham station, both on the Cambridge and Newmarket branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 7 south from Newmarket and 8 north-east from Linton, in the hundred of Radfield, union and petty sessional division of Linton, Newmarket county court district, rural deanery of Cheveley, archdeaconary and diocese of Ely. The church of St.Peter is a small but ancient building of rubble in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel and nave and a western turret containing 2 bells: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1600. The living is a rectory, net yearly value 220, including 58 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. M.C.Wilder B.D. and held since 1925 by the Rev. [blank line].   There is a small benefaction called "Briggs' Charity for the Poor," of 10s. yearly value, and Wright's charity of 2 15s. yearly, which is applied to educational purposes. There are two manors.  C.F.Ryder esq.J.P. who is lord of the manor of Lopham hall, the executors of Sir Ernest Cassel P.C., G.C.B. and John Alfred Brand esq. are the principle land owners. The soil is various; sub-soil, clay, chalk and gravel. The crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 2,415 acres ; rateable value, 1,865 ; the population in 1921 was 254. By an Order which came into operation March 25th, 1886, a detached part of Brinkley, in Newmarket union, was amalgamated with this parish.

Willingham Green is a place in the parish.

Sexton, William Westley.

Post Office - Mrs Sarah Avery, sub-postmistress. Letters through Newmarket. Weston Wratting is the nearest money order office & Brinkley, 1.5 miles distant, the nearest telegraph office.

Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1877, for 50 children ; Miss G.M. Woodcock, mistress (temporary).

Carriers. - James Avery, to Newmarket, tues. & Haverhill, fri.

Name

House

Occupation

Miss K. Dennison Butler Stay-a-While Private Resident
Charles Harrison Hill House Private Resident
Stephen Hudson Kelvin cote Private Resident

James Avery

-

Carrier & Farmer

Sarah Avery (Mrs)

Post Office

Shopkeeper

Walter Boggis

Carlton grange (postal address, Brinkley, Newmarket)

farm manager & sub-agent to exors. of Sir Ernest Cassel P.C.,G.C.B.

Richard Carter

beer retailer

George William Dawson

farm bailiff to C.F.Ryder esq. J.P. Lopham hall

John Driver

Cocksedge Farm

farmer

Charles Long

Church farm

farmer

Frederick Rawlison Willingham Green farmer

Sydney Read

Carlton hall

farmer

Frank Taylor

Carlton Green

beer retailer