Kelly's Directory 1908
Home Up Information News History Government

 

Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1908

There is a copy of this directory available for reference in the Cambridge Collection & CRO.

Carlton-Cum-Willingham is a village and parish, on the borders of Suffolk, 5 miles south-east from the Six Mile Bottom station and 4.5 south-south-east from Dullingham station, both on the Cambridge and Newmarket branch of the Great Eastern railway, 7 south from Newmarket and 8 north-east from Linton, in  Eastern division of the county, hundred of Radfield, union and petty sessional division of Linton, Newmarket county court district, rural deanery of Fordham, archdeaconary of Sudbury and diocese of Ely. The church of St.Peter is a small but ancient building of rubble in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel and nave and a western turret containing 2 bells: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1600. The living is a rectory, including the ancient chapelry of Willingham in this parish, net yearly value 180, including 58 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. J.Wilder B.D. rector of Brandeston, Norfolk, and held since 1881 by the Rev.Alfred Edward Gover M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The Salvation Army have a Mission room here. There is a small benefaction called "Brigg's Charity," of 10s. yearly value, and Wright's charity of 2 15s. yearly, which is applied to educational purposes. Here are two manors. Viscount Hampden is lord of the manor of Carlton Parva and C.F.Ryder esq. of Little Thurlow Hall, of the manor of Lopham Hall. Viscount Hampden, C.F.Ryder esq. and Alexander Cross Hall esq of Great Rollright, Oxon. are the principle land owners. The soil is various; sub-soil, clay, chalk and gravel. The crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 2,415 acres ; rateable value, 1,592 ; the population in 1901 was 275 in the civil and 264 in the ecclesiastical parish. By an Order which came into operation March 25th, 1886, a detached part of Brinkley, in Newmarket union, was amalgamated with this parish.

Willingham Green is a place in the parish.

Sexton, Robert Stubbings.

Post Office - Mrs Sarah Avery, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Newmarket; delivered at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 7.20 p.m. Thurlow is the nearest money order office & Brinkley, 1.5 miles distant, the nearest telegraph office.

Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1877, for 70 children ; average attendance, 26; Mrs. Jane Piper, mistress.

Carriers. - Mark Haylock, to Newmarket, tues. & Haverhill, fri; Henry Rollinson, to Newmarket, tues. & Cambridge, sat.; James Avery, to Haverhill, fri.

Name

House

Occupation

Rev. Alfred Edward Gover M.A.

Rectory

Rector

James Avery

Carrier & Farmer

Walter Boggis

Carlton grange (postal address, Brinkley, Newmarket)

Land steward to A.C.Hall esq.

Richard Carter

beer retailer & boot repairer

George William Dawson

farm bailiff to C.F.Ryder esq. Lopham hall

John Driver

Cocksedge Farm

farmer

Charles & Hubert Long

threshing machine owners

Charles Long Church Farm Farmer

Walter Murton

Axe & Saw P.H.

Alfred Slater Nice

Carlton hall

farmer

Henry Rollinson

Willingham Green

farmer

Walter Taylor

Carlton Green

beer retailer