Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1933
There is a copy of this directory available for reference in the Cambridge Collection.
Carlton-Cum-Willingham is a village and parish, on the borders of Suffolk, 5 miles south-east from Six Mile Bottom station and 4.5 south-south-east from Dullingham station, both on the Cambridge and Newmarket branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 7 south from Newmarket and 8 north-east from Linton, in the hundred of Radfield, rural district and petty sessional division of Linton, Newmarket county court district, rural deanery of Cheveley and archdeaconary and diocese of Ely. The church of St.Peter is a small but ancient building of rubble in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel and nave and a western turret containing 2 bells: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1600. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £336, including 58 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. M.C.Wilder B.D. and held since 1927 by the Rev.Walter Robert Gordon Taylor M.A. of St. Chad's College, Durham. There is a small benefaction, called "Brigg's Charity for the Poor" of 10s. yearly value, and Wright's charity of £2 15s. yearly, which is applied to educational purposes. There are two manors. C.F.Ryder esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor of Lopham's hall and Capt. Alec Stratford Cunningham-Reid D.F.C., M.P. are the principle land owners. The soil is various; sub-soil, clay, chalk and gravel. The crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 2,415 acres; the population in 1921 was 254. By an Order which came into operation March 25th, 1886, a detached part of Brinkley, was amalgamated with this parish.
Willingham Green is a place in the parish.
Post Office. Letters through Newmarket. West Wratting is the nearest M.O. office & Brinkley the nearest T. office.
Conveyance. - Motor omnibus service between Newmarket & Cambridge daily, except tues. & thurs
Commercial. Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.