Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1922
There is a copy of this directory available for reference in the Cambridge Collection.
Carlton-Cum-Willingham is a village and parish, on the borders of Suffolk, 5 miles south-east from Six Mile Bottom station and 4.5 south-south-east from Dullingham station, both on the Cambridge and Newmarket branch of the Great Eastern railway, 7 south from Newmarket and 8 north-east from Linton, in the hundred of Radfield, union and petty sessional division of Linton, Newmarket county court district, rural deanery of Cheveley, archdeaconary of Ely and diocese of Ely. The church of St.Peter is a small but ancient building of rubble in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel and nave and a western turret containing two bells: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1600. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £220, including 58 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. M.C.Wilder B.D. rector of Bandeston, Norfolk, and held since 1881 by the Rev.Alfred Edward Gover M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The Salvation Army have a Mission room here. There is a small benefaction called "Brigg's Charity," of 10s. yearly value, and Wright's charity of £2 15s. yearly, which is applied to educational purposes. There are two manors. A war memorial has been erected in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918. C.F.Ryder esq. is lord of the manor of Lopham hall. C.F.Ryder esq. the executors of Sir Ernest Cassel P.C., G.C.B. and John Alfred Brand esq. are the principle land owners. The soil is various; sub-soil, clay, chalk and gravel. The crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 2,415 acres ; rateable value, £1,926 ; the population in 1911 was 279. By an Order which came into operation March 25th, 1886, a detached part of Brinkley, in Newmarket union, was amalgamated with this parish.
Willingham Green is a place in the parish.
Sexton, James Westley.
Post Office - Mrs Sarah Avery, sub-postmistress. Letters through Newmarket. Weston Wratting is the nearest money order office & Brinkley, 1.5 miles distant, the nearest telegraph office.
Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1877, for 50 children ; Mrs Dorothy Savory, mistress.
Carriers. - James Westley, to Newmarket, tues. & Haverhill, fri.; James Avery, to Haverhill, fri.