Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900
There is a copy of this directory available for reference in the Cambridge Collection.
CARLETON-CUM-WILLINGHAM, is a village and parish, on the borders of Suffolk, 5 miles south-east from the Six Mile Bottom station, and 5 south-south-east from the Dullingham station, both on the Cambridge and Newmarket branch of the Great Eastern railway, 7 south from Newmarket and 8 north-east from Linton, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Radfield, union and petty sessional division of Linton, Newmarket county court district, rural deanery of Fordham, archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Peter is a small but ancient building of rubble in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a western turret containing 2 bells : there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1600. The living is a rectory, including the ancient chapelry of Willingham in this parish, net yearly value £150, including 35½ acres of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of the Rev. John McMahon Wilder B.D. rector of Brandeston, Norfolk, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Alfred Edward Gover M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. There is a small benefaction, called "Brigg's Charity," of 10s, yearly value. Here are two manors: Viscount Hampden is lord of the manor of Carlton Parva and William B. Ryder, of Gransden Hall, of the manor of Lopham Hall. Viscount Hampden, Roger W. B. Jenyns esq. of Bottisham Hall and William Henry Hall esq. D.L., J.P. of Six Mile Bottom, are the principal landowners.
The soil is various ; subsoil, clay, chalk and gravel. The crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 2,415 acres; rateable value £1,630 ; the population in 1891 was 324 in the civil and 313 in the ecclesiastical parish. By an order which came into operation March 25th, 1886, a detached part of Brinkley, in Newmarket union, was amalgamated with this parish.
Parish Clerk, Francis Frost.
Post Office - William Pearson, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Newmarket at 5.20 a.m. ; dispatched at 7 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Nearest money order & telegraph office, Brinkley, 2 miles distant.
National School (mixed), erected in 1877, for 70 children; average attendance, 36; towards the maintenance of the school Viscount Hampden gives £5 & £3 3s. is derived from Wright's Charity ; Mrs. Jane Piper, mist.
Carriers.- William Pearson, to Newmarket, tues. ; Henry Rollinson, to Newmarket, tues. & Cambridge,sat