Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, & Suffolk 1883
There is a copy of this directory available for reference in the Cambridge Collection.
CARLETON (or Carleton-cum-Willingham), is a village and parish, on the borders of Suffolk, 7 miles south from Newmarket, 8 north-east from Linton, 5 south-east from the Six Mile Bottom station, and 5 south-south-east from the Dullingham station, both on the Cambridge and Newmarket railway, in the Hundred of Radfield, union of Linton, Newmarket county court district, rural deanery of Fordham, archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Peter is a small, ancient rubble building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave: the bell turret contains 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1600. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Willingham annexed, gross yearly value £380 and net value £280, in the gift of Rev. John McMahon Wilder B.D. rector of Brandeston, Norfolk, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Alfred Edward Gover M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. There is a small charity, called "Brigg's Charity," of 10s, yearly value. Here are two manors. Lord Dacre is lord of the manor of Carleton Parva and Miss Soames is lady of the manor of Lopham's Hall. Lord Dacre, Miss Soames and W.H.Hall esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is various ; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 2,282A. 0R. 23P.; rateable value £2609 ; the population in 1881 was 337.
Parish Clerk, Francis Frost.
Post Office - William Pearson, receiver. Letters arrive from Newmarket at 5.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 7 p.m. The nearest money order office is at West Wratting & telegraph office at Little Thurlow.
There is a National school, towards the maintenance of which Lord Dacre gives £5 and £3 3s. is derived from Wright's Charity ; Miss Eugene Booker, mistress.
Carriers.- William Pearson, to Newmarket, tues.; Henry Rollinson, to Newmarket, tues.& Cambridge,sat