Kelly's Post Office Directory of Cambridgeshire 1875
There is a copy of this directory available for reference in the Cambridge Collection.
CARLTON (or Carlton-cum-Willingham, is a village and parish, on the borders of Suffolk, distant 8 miles south from Newmarket, 8 north-east from Linton, 5 south-east from the Six Mile Bottom station, and 5 south-south-east from the Dullingham station, both on the Cambridge and Newmarket railway, in the Hundred of Radfield, union of Linton, Newmarket county court district, rural deanery of Camps, archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Peter is a small ancient building, the interior of which consists of chancel and nave: the tower contains 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1600. The living is a rectory, yearly value about £400, in the gift of the trustees of the late Mr W.S.P. Wilder, and held by the Rev. John Wilder, M.A., of Emmanuel Colledge, Cambridge. There is an Infant school, with an endowment, amounting to about £3 yearly, supported principally by subscription. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here. There is a small charity, called "Brigg's Charity," of 10s, yearly value. Lord Dacre is lord of the manor and the principle landowner. The soil is various ; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The ares is 2,282A. 0R. 23P.; rateable value £2987 7s. 6d.; the population in 1871 was 447.
Parish Clerk, Francis Frost.
Post Office - William Pearson, receiver. Letters arrive from Newmarket at 5.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 7 p.m. The nearest money order office is at West Wratting.
School (Infants') Miss Eliza Unwin, mistress