Kelly's Post Office Directory of Cambridgeshire 1864
There is a copy of this directory available for reference in the Cambridge Collection.
CARLTON (or Carlton-cum-Willingham, is a small village and parish on the borders of Suffolk, in the Hundred of Radfield, union of Linton, Newmarket county court district, rural deanery of Camps, archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Ely, distant 8 miles south from Newmarket, 8 north-east from Linton, 5 south-east from the Six Mile Bottom station, and 5 south-south-east from the Dullingham station, both on the Cambridge and Newmarket railway. The church of St. Peter is a small ancient building, the interior of which consists of nave and chancel: the tower contains 2 bells. The living is a rectory, annual value about £300, in the patronage of the trustees of the late Mr W.S.P. Wilder, and held by the Rev. Thomas Wilder Sewell, M.A. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here. There is an Infants' school, with an endowment, amounting to about £3 yearly, supported principally by subscription. There is a small charity, called "Brigg's Charity," of 10s, yearly given away in bread. Lord Dacre is lord of the manor and the principle owner of the soil. The population in 1861 was 402; the area if the parish is 2,200 acres.
Parish Clerk, Francis Frost.
Post Office - Mrs Harriet Quy, receiver. Letters arrive from Newmarket at 7.25 a.m. ; dispatched at 7.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Newmarket.
School (infants') Miss Ellen Wallman, mistress.
Wilder, Rev. William, M.A